[clug] Cobb & Co

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Tue May 28 08:16:15 UTC 2019

Hi George:

> As for computers ... short wave radio from the UK was the
> best one could hope for.

My shortwave radio played world news!

> It was not until later in 20 December 1939 that Australia would start
> radio broadcasting.

Remember black and white TV?

> It is amazing how short a time it is since electronic technology
> became a thing, contrasting with how long we have had written
> languages, mail delivery systems, government structure, and other
> things assigned to 'civilisation'.

Clerks still send packets via pneumatic tubes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_tube

> But really I dislike it when we take backward steps.

Manual tasks got computerised. Thereby short cuts were taken. With side
effects like less security!

> (please realise the above statement is 'humor', just in case someone
> misses that).

I tend to be too serious!

> https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Papermaking/History_of_paper

I've done archiving. In which acid paper and silverfish were bad-news!
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/