[clug] Gnome - Why? just Why?

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Mon May 27 13:19:03 UTC 2019

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Bryan,

This is just an FYI.

Debian Buster is using Wayland instead of X11.

At this current time Synaptic Package Manager (my favourite package
manager), does not support Wayland and so cannot be used to install
packages under Gnome.

https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland
In fact, synaptic [1] was removed from buster [2] because it doesn't
work under Wayland.)

I do not believe the above statement 100%, or I hope it will be wrong,
as I install Xfce quite often and would want Synaptic. I don't think
Xfce uses Wayland either (at this time).

George.

On Monday, 27-05-2019 at 20:39 Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:

Hi George:

> Question: How is the Gnome way to find programs of a certain type,
> like games, or photo editing programs, when you have do idea which
> program but want to look though a list ?

The Dash is down the left of my monitor. It's a column of favourite
icons. Mine include Ubuntu Software and Synaptic Package Manager.

First I'd click the Ubuntu Software icon. Typing "game" lists
available
and installed games.

Next I'd click Synaptic Package Manager. Launching it requires
entering
the password. Then I'd click Search and type "game". Listing such, and

if they're installed.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/