[clug] Gnome - Why? just Why?

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Mon May 27 06:35:42 UTC 2019

On Mon, 27 May 2019 at 14:46, George at Clug via linux <
linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi, and once again, I want to say thanks to everyone for their
> comments. I want to make comment to various points people have made.
>

> Question: How is the Gnome way to find programs of a certain type,
> like games, or photo editing programs, when you have do idea which
> program but want to look though a list ?

One way is to do something like
super then type "edit photo" see what programs you have that might do that.

To take "games" as an example:
Super then type "game" - see some games
Super then type "game arcade" - see arcade games
Super then type "game card" - see card games
Super then type "game card" - what tile games do you have
Super then type "game board" - the obvious thing

Categories can be overlapping sets, meaning you can get what you're looking
for using any of them, fast. I like that a lot better. Other people's
different preferences are equally valid, it's simply taste after all.

Just quietly I want to make a comment on your posts:

Some of your criticisms of gnome had answers that turn up on the very first
search engine hit. You seem to have leapt to conclusions that perhaps
didn't bare out after a slightly deeper look. I don't much like it when
people heap abuse on things I love, it's a quite human response. Just give
that some thought. Do you want to learn how this different thing works or
do you want to find that it's awful and unusable so you were right all
along? The latter is a very easy trap to fall into, I've done it myself and
that's fine, especially in private. As I've mentioned a few times there is
absolutely no reason to use Gnome if you don't like it. None. I know Linus
enjoys abusing s**t out of gnome and its developers but that doesn't make
the practise any more attractive. He's done the same for the GPLv3 license
and even to someone local and well-liked who wrote a Free revision control
client once. [1] Xfce is a very fine window manager. I hope you enjoy using
it as much as I do gnome. I think we would all agree it would be very silly
for me to point out occasions where I think Gnome has better functionality
than Xfce. Xfce is really great at what it is and its developers have a
right to be very proud of it.

Good luck mate.
Peace.

[1] I had the good fortune to be in the crowd (as some of you may have
been) when Tridge crowdsourced a shell implementation of a bitkeeper client
contributing zero code himself and in under 3 minutes. One of the most
devastating comebacks I've ever witnessed and just beautifully good
humoured throughout. Linus now of course claims that the popular revision
control system he wrote in the fallout of all that was named after Linus
himself and not Tridge as originally advertised. That's a pretty reasonable
mea culpa I guess.