[clug] Gnome & Lock Screen

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sun May 26 09:19:54 UTC 2019

I wrote:

> Old people and new stuff might not get along. I was told that an
> old-folks-home was furnished from the `50s!
>
> {Products and services relevant to the "silver industry" or the "mature
> market" increasingly abound in the marketplace.}
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerontechnology#Gerontological_design

So I looked up Linux distros for seniors.

{Senior computer users prefer operating systems that are easy to
understand, have a clean and guiding menu structure, provide basic
features like browsing news sites and social networks, read emails, make
Skype calls, organize photos and manage simple documents and spreadsheets.

They often use older hardware, therefore light systems are also to be
considered. They prefer simplicity over flashy new interfaces.

Based on the above, our clear number 1 is LinuxMint. Debian with LXDE
desktop provides a familiar Windows-like experience and Debian with KDE
classic also fulfills the requirements. They may be alternatives to
LinuxMint.

If you need a light option, check out Lubuntu.

If the grannies in your family have a cool and flexible approach, have a
look at Ubuntu.}

https://takacsmark.com/the-top-5-linux-systems-for-elderly-people/
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/