[clug] Gnome - Why? just Why?

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Sun May 26 05:23:00 UTC 2019

On Sun, 26 May 2019 at 13:58, George at Clug via linux <
linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi to anyone bothers to read this,
>

> Gnome ???  Its UI Design leave me pondering, "why ?".

<snip>
They went a different way.

1) Hit the super key ("windows" logo or "apple" logo key on many keyboards)
Just once
2) start typing the application you want to open by /any/ name that it is
known by
3) use the arrow keys to select it if more than one app is displayed and
the one you want isn't the first
Choose!
4a) hit enter to select the existing instance or open it if it's closed
4b) hit ctrl enter to open a new instance or window if it's already open
It may not be something you care for in which case there are other
excellent window managers around. I love it. Each to their own. You may
enjoy it once you get used to it. You may not? You may not ever get that
far. I find it super fast, super convenient and very, efficient. Mental
block on "firefox" (it happens, sue me), type "browser" or whatever and it
works great.

> I guessing that the reason the above Windowed UI items are missing is
> that Gnome is geared toward Tablets PCs and Smart Phones which cannot
> make use of mice, and hence Gnome' goal is to make the use of a mouse
> as redundant as possible.

I strongly doubt this. Typing is a pain on tablets and phones, mouse like
tapping of the screen is their preferred interface. Gnome probably isn't
that great in such a situation. it's optimised for keyboard use.
I suspect it is more due to the "ratpoison" mindset as explained in the
following link, which incidentally I find to be the funniest mailing list
post I have ever read and while unlikely to be greatly edifying may be
worth your time for entertainment value alone ??
https://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/inspiration.html
Good luck with whatever works.
(Just quietly isn't it great we can swap in and out a whole WM for one we
personally prefer whenever we feel like it - then hack the ruddy thing so
it's /just exactly/ how we want it? If you've been stuck on an proprietary
system temporarily it jars so hard when you can't do it!)