[clug] WSL 2 - real Linux kernel (4.x) in a Win-10 VM, coming for trial in June.

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Fri May 17 03:32:49 UTC 2019

Some general reading...

 "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Santayana

https://saylordotorg.github.io/text_mastering-strategic-management/s05-03-the-history-of-strategic-manag.html

http://classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.html

5 Questions regards WSL

1) Is WSL FOSS, or proprietary ?

2) Does WSL include "telemetry" that is sent back to Microsoft?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2017/04/11/testing-the-windows-subsystem-for-linux/
This distinction is important to us because we implement system calls
as-needed based on user input and telemetry.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/linux/ubuntu-reveals-desktop-telemetry-for-the-first-time/
Canonical has kept a promise it made in February this year and has
made public some of the telemetry it gathered from Ubuntu Desktop
users in the past three months.

3) Can Microsoft in the future use its patents against the Linux
Community that it is embedding into Linux ? (or has Microsoft waved
its patents for all of eternity?)
http://techrights.org/2019/03/12/microsoft-foxconn/
Microsoft is Complaining About Android and Chrome OS (GNU/Linux)
Vendor Not Paying for Microsoft Patents (Updated)
Posted in GNU/Linux, Google, Microsoft, Patents at 8:51 am by Dr. Roy
Schestowitz
“Microsoft Loves Linux” is a joke.

When Microsoft says it “loves Linux” it means to say Microsoft
loves Windows, but nowadays Microsoft calls Windows "Linux" [1]. See
this report from yesterday [2]; it’s all about leveraging Linux (or
Android) to spread Windows. How is that love of Linux? Microsoft is so
madly in love with Linux that it makes it easier to replace it and
then delete it. Is _that_ love?

http://techrights.org/2017/07/30/swpats-traps-implanted-and-asserted/

patent traps in Linux and have patents passed to patent aggressors,
which in turn go after original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) that
distribute GNU/Linux_

http://techrights.org/2019/05/07/azure-ip-advantage-operandi/
In recent years Microsoft recognised that its patents lacked
‘teeth’ (most of those it is ‘lending’ to OIN), but it
threatens Linux OEMs nonetheless, even this year [3]. The Linux
Foundation [4] is paid to shut up about it, but that’s another topic
for another day*.

4) Does the existence of WSL not confirm the first two steps of
"Embrace, extend, and extinguish", or so far only the first?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

5) What has Microsoft offered technology or funding to the general
Open Source Linux community (supporting increasing FOSS)?  For
example like IBM with LVM. Dot Net?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/18253474/microsoft-windows-calculator-open-source-github
Microsoft even open-sourced the original File Manager from the ‘90s
[5] to allow it to run on Windows 10, and just recently made 60,000
patents open-source to help protect Linux [6].

Other reading...

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/announcing-wsl-2/

What exactly is WSL 2?

Our top requests from the WSL community have been to increase the file
system performance, and make more apps work inside of WSL (i.e:
introduce better system call compatibility). We have heard your
feedback, and are glad to announce that WSL 2 helps solve these
issues.

WSL 2 is a new version of the architecture that powers the Windows
Subsystem for Linux to run ELF64 Linux binaries on Windows. This new
architecture changes how these Linux binaries interact with Windows
and your computer’s hardware, but still provides the same user
experience as in WSL 1 (the current widely available version).
Individual Linux distros can be run either as a WSL 1 distro, or as a
WSL 2 distro, can be upgraded or downgraded at any time, and you can
run WSL 1 and WSL 2 distros side by side. WSL 2 uses an entirely new
architecture that uses a real Linux kernel.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-further-commits-to-open-source-releases-two-thirds-of-its-patents-to-the-open-invention-network

Microsoft has officially joined the Open Innovation Network [7] (OIN)
and will share their massive portfolio of patents with the 2,650
members of the community. Microsoft’s corporate vice president and
chief intellectual property (IP) counsel, Erich Andersen, stated [8]
that the company will bring their “valuable and deep portfolio of
over 60,000 issued patents to OIN for the benefit of Linux and other
open source technologies”

For those unfamiliar, the Open Innovation Network is the world’s
largest patent consortium where members share their patents with other
members loyalty-free, with each member agreeing not to sue Linux
developers for their use of the shared patents in their applications.
Members of the organization [9] include Google, Sony, IBM, and Red
Hat.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/10/17959978/microsoft-makes-its-60000-patents-open-source-to-help-linux
https://www.crn.com/news/channel-programs/195000048/novell-reassures-linux-users-on-microsoft-patents.htm
Linux vendor Novell says Linux doesn't violate Microsoft patents, even
though Novell recently signed an agreement with Microsoft protecting
Novell SuSE users against patent lawsuits from Microsoft.

https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-calls-truce-in-linux-patent-wars/

Microsoft wants to make peace with Linux, saying this week that it
will allow more than 2,600 other companies, including longtime rivals
like Google and IBM, to use the technology behind 60,000 Microsoft
patents for their own Linux-related open source projects.

That could be good news for makers of "internet of Things" devices.
Linux powers everything from connected cars [10] to Amazon Echo [11]
hardware, but Microsoft has long claimed that various Linux-related
technologies infringe on its patents and has a history of suing the
alleged violators. For example, in 2009 it sued GPS navigation device
maker TomTom [12], arguing that the company’s Linux-based products
violated a patent related to how operating systems handle file
storage.

http://techrights.org/2017/07/30/swpats-traps-implanted-and-asserted/

patent traps in Linux and have patents passed to patent aggressors,
which in turn go after original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) that
distribute GNU/Linux_

 [13]

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/10/microsoft-open-sources-60000-patents-to-help-linux/

Microsoft open-sources 60,000 patents to help Linux avoid lawsuits