[clug] WSL 2 - real Linux kernel (4.x) in a Win-10 VM, coming for trial in June.

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu May 16 06:50:36 UTC 2019

Underlining that the Trillion Dollar Microsoft is not the Gates / Ballmer N.I.H. beast of Redmond.

But a kernel is half the story - userland is provided by your favourite Distro.

Ubuntu had an agreement with WSL 1.
Unsure what’s happening with Ubuntu, Fedora and WSL 2.

Questions:

	- presuming WSL-2 becomes a ‘first class’ Windows environment,
		is it a viable Linux platform, leveraging commodity Win-10 machines?

	- anybody using WSL-1 or trialling WSL-2?

steve

==================

Announcing WSL 2
<https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/announcing-wsl-2/>

> Initial builds of WSL 2 will be available through the Windows insider program by the end of June 2019.

Pengwin: A Linux specifically for Windows Subsystem for Linux
	You've been able to run many Linux distros on Windows thanks to WSL for years.
	Now, there's a Linux distro built to work hand-in-glove with WSL.
<https://www.zdnet.com/article/pengwin-a-linux-specifically-for-windows-subsystem-for-linux/>

> US$20 for Pengwin, needs an X-11 server as well.

WSLU - WSL Utilities
	A collection of utilities for Windows 10 Linux Subsystems
<https://github.com/wslutilities/wslu>

Whitewater Foundry / Pengwin
<https://www.pengwin.dev>

--