[clug] Private Browsing?

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Jun 24 05:24:49 UTC 2019

On 24/6/19 2:41 pm, Eyal Lebedinsky via linux wrote:
> However, after I close a tab, then do a "Clear Data" and "Clear History",
> I expect the slate to be clean, but this is not the case. Closing the
> window does
> clear everything. So what are the items left behind after my manual
> clearing
> before closing the window?

I don't know, but we could read the source code and find out...

I would _guess_ that clearing cookies, search terms, history etc.
removes data kept in files on disk. The front page when you open a new
PB Window in Firefox ("Private Browsing with Tracking Protection"),
gives some details of what is and isn't kept "private".

As PB doesn't appear to keep these things on disk, the clearing process
probably doesn't know how to get rid of them...

So, I would guess, all of those items would be "left behind" within a
PB window after manual clearing. But all would be cleared when the
session is closed. Again, my guess. One day I'll check the source...

cheers,
Bob Edwards.