[clug] Private Browsing?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Jun 23 23:21:29 UTC 2019

Something I notice when using firefox (FF) is that some sites remember me or my history,
and FF seems to be aiding this. I want to understand what is going on.

For example, I go to ebay, browse some items, and a panel shows "Your Recently Viewed Items".
I close that tab and open one again and it still remembers this (never logged in). OK.

I now start ff, then add a Private Browsing (PB) window and open ebay, browse items in a few tabs,
close the ebay tabs (PB window left open) and clear data and history (via preferences, showing zero
cookies, data and cache).
  -> A new ebay tab still shows the history.

I now close the PB window (FF still running) and open a new PB window.
  -> A new ebay tab does not show the history.

It seems that what I do with FF allows the site to remember or forget my browsing, regardless of
clearing history/data. What else can I clear?

My question is: where/how is this history kept?

TIA

--
Eyal at Home (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)