[clug] Local configuration on a non-homogeneous LAN

Hugh Fisher hugo.fisher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 23:29:24 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 11:40 PM Brenton Ross via linux
<linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:

[munch]

> As I mentioned, the clients will be mostly different from each other -
> some Scientific Linux, Fedora, Ubuntu, and others. They might also be
> at different releases. Basically the operating systems will be tailored
> to the software installed on each machine.
>
> It occurs to me that a lot of software stores its user specific
> configurations in the ~/.config and ~/.local directories. If these are
> stored centrally then there could be conflicts when a user changes from
> one machine to another and the configuration data is then out of sync
> with the programs installed on the second machine.

My experience with heterogenous environments is that while the
client machines vary in OS version and software installed, the people
are nearly always using the same machine, or the same configuration,
because they need a particular piece of software. Even when they don't
need specific software, they'll choose to use the same or a similar
machine rather than put up with a different window manager, or file
browser, or whatever. We are creatures of habit. (Because habits make
us efficient.)

So my suggestion is that in the absence of evidence, assume it won't
be a problem. Ain't broke, don't fix it.

--

        cheers,
        Hugh Fisher