[clug] KDE Desktop

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat Jun 1 09:10:20 UTC 2019

Thanks to Bryan, I finally found a check box "Use HTML markup", which can be unchecked. Now my emails should look more like they were intended after going through the CLUG filter.

Do people find the below method the best for email discussions? Choice, personal tastes, I guess.  A bit like GUI design?

On Saturday, 01-06-2019 at 18:15 Scott Ferguson via linux wrote:

> On 6/1/19 4:10 PM, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > Who has tried KDE Desktop recently?
>
> I've been using KDE with Debian and Slackware for a couple of decades.
> >

> > Today I installed Debian Buster KDE Desktop, and was amazed at how
> > much it has been updated since I installed it from other Distros.
> >

> > The KDE GUI is menu driven, and thus I actually quite liked the new
> > look and feel.
> >

> > Very polished and stylish looking.
> >

> > If anyone has comments, I would be interested in reading.
>
> It's not anywhere near as slow as people claim (unless you enable all
> the bells and whistles). If you want to make it use less resources
> you've been able to replace parts of KDE with RazorQT for some time now.
> It's configurable to the nth degree - some people don't like
> configuring, others do. Choices are good.
> I run Android apps natively.
> I can access the Desktop from my phone and the reverse using KDEConnect
> (typing SMS on a keyboard is easier). I like using my phone to control
> videos and music in the lounge room too
> KDE SOEs are well received by former Windows users, and it's a couple of
> quick configuration changes to provide the same UI for Apple users.
> Plasma has a neat tablet/netbook alternative to the desktop UI which is
> handy for smaller screen devices. See also https://www.plasma-mobile.org/
> KDE has a wide range of themes and apps available. https://store.kde.org/
> Assistive support is great - screen reader etc.
> >

> > I would ask, is the KDE Desktop well supported?
>
> Yes (seriously? https://kde.org/). Possibly better than GNOME.
>
> >  And are there still
> > any issues with ownership of Qt ?
>
> Where there ever any real issues?? (see last paragraph)
> https://timeline.kde.org/
>
> > I guess FOSS purists would have
> > issue (e.g. Richard Stallman).
>
> What's a "FOSS purist"? (and who's writing the narrative).
> Free Open Source Software is about choices... (isn't it?). Or do we
> ignore the "GNU Is Not Unix" and then wail about Linux not being UNIX
> (hate systemd, hate change)??

Yep, I don't know if I like systemd, and change is only good if it provides improvement, but that is not the point, I guess.

Free Open Source Software is not about choice, though it certainly allows more scope for choice to be offered. The below links give a better description of FOSS than I could.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software
by Richard Stallman
    The terms “free software” and “open source” stand for almost the same range of programs. However, they say deeply different things about those programs, based on different values. The free software movement campaigns for freedom for the users of computing; it is a movement for freedom and justice. By contrast, the open source idea values mainly practical advantage and does not campaign for principles. This is why we do not agree with open source, and do not use that term.

When we call software “free,” we mean that it respects the users' essential freedoms: the freedom to run it, to study and change it, and to redistribute copies with or without changes. This is a matter of freedom, not price, so think of “free speech,” not “free beer.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software
Free software

Richard Stallman's Free Software Definition, adopted by the Free Software Foundation (FSF), defines free software as a matter of liberty not price, and it upholds the Four Essential Freedoms. The earliest-known publication of the definition of his free-software idea was in the February 1986 edition[12] of the FSF's now-discontinued GNU's Bulletin publication. The canonical source for the document is in the philosophy section of the GNU Project website. As of August 2017, it is published there in 40 languages.
Four essential freedoms of Free Software

To meet the definition of "free software", the FSF requires the software's licensing respect the civil liberties / human rights of what the FSF calls the software user's "Four Essential Freedoms".
    The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
    The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

> <snipped supporting evidence of choices not restricting usage and
> modification>
>
> I prefer QT to GTK, and I don't believe there is no middle ground
> between functionality and form (it should work and be visually
> supportive - beauty is possible if not so pretty it distracts from purpose).
>
> Note: "they" can't pull the plug on QT
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28software%29#Licensing
> https://www.qt.io/licensing/
>

> Kind regards (and happy computing)
>

> --
I find it easier to read replies at the top, than miss comments among the previous email's text.
>     A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
>     Q: Why should I start my reply below the quoted text?

Actually I find this method way more confusing, as I read from the top to the bottom, not in reverse order like the below text.
>     A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>     Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Context come from starting at the beginning of a conversation. If you don't have context, simply go back and start at the beginning.
>     A: The lost context.
>     Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

Only the specific text that your responding to, should be needed, if at all, because if people were following the thread, there is no need to restate or copy everything.