[clug] Member Moderation - Bryan Kilgallin

Elena Williams ele.wil at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 12:20:27 UTC 2019

Hello Bryan,

Yes! There is a lot to fear, but in this case the group is fundamentally
deeply technical. This is not negotiable, this is the nature of this user
group. Undoubtedly you're an intelligent bloke and this is clear to you.

I actually have a question to you: if this deeply technical part of the
group is not where you are currently finding fulfillment here and the way
the material is presented is causing consternation or even unpleasantness
for you, what is your main interest in CLUG?

It's about what makes us feel good, and what your describing doesn't seem
to be making you feel good, whereas there are surely other avenues that
could. We are so lucky to live in this amazingly connected time! By looking
just now for a couple of minutes so many groups that would be more amenable
to the nature of things you talk about, such as art for example, and mental
heath and retirement:
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Canberra-Stories-behind-the-Art-Group/
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Connecting-Community-through-Creativity/
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/meetup-group-UNsoOYpm/
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Exploring-Art-Around-Canberra/
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Canberra-Healing-Arts-Circles/
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/topics/over-60-social-club/au/canberra/
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Canberra-Introverted-Meetup/
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Not-9-To-5ers/

If it's social interaction you're being advised to pursue, perhaps there
are other communities where your wealth of creative ability and experience
could be better appreciated than it currently is being among us
technology-obsessed (particularly the highbrow stuff) over here.

Honestly before all of this I'd looked an Brendan's slides and thought they
were great and wished I'd attended, altough I come from a place of living
and breathing technology and the slides looked as though it was an
even-handed, interesting high-level overview. This is why I keep up with
CLUG mailing list. This is compelling for me. It makes me feel terrible
that he was made to feel bad for delivering this presentation, because this
is the stuff that CLUG is about.

As said previously I care about CLUG (from a distance) and I'm on the
(Billy-Joel-)Don't-Go-Changing side of defending what CLUG is about and
everyone essentially doing what's right for them and where they're at and
what they're looking for.
---
Elena Williams
Github: elena <http://github.com/elena/>