[clug] Member Moderation - Bryan Kilgallin

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 6 13:21:16 UTC 2019

Thank you, Elena:

> There is a lot to fear, but in this case the group is fundamentally
> deeply technical.

Many things are technical. Accounting is a technology, for example.

> This is not negotiable, this is the nature of this
> user group.

I'm faintly amused. Check out my rare personality type.

{INTJs are idea people. Anything is possible; everything is negotiable.}

http://www.typelogic.com/intj.html

> Undoubtedly you're an intelligent bloke and this is clear to
> you.

I recall reading that there were some seven intelligences. So I met a
gardener, who said that his reading age was twelve. Yet he designed and
welded an industrial-scale sieve for recovering expensive perlite.

> I actually have a question to you: if this deeply technical part of the
> group is not where you are currently finding fulfillment here and the
> way the material is presented is causing consternation or even
> unpleasantness for you, what is your main interest in CLUG?

I would like to be correctly informed. Saying that a topic is wow, easy
and cool, so everyone should come and bring friends--confuses the hell
out of me, when it turns out "check your PhD in at the door"!

> It's about what makes us feel good, and what your describing doesn't
> seem to be making you feel good, whereas there are surely other avenues
> that could.

I am a member of NRMA. So rarely I get my sick car fixed-up by them. And
they insure it. So for reasons of security and cost, I use Ubuntu. But
occasionally something collapses! Therefore I try to understand the
technology that I'm using, and reach out for help when it breaks.

> We are so lucky to live in this amazingly connected time!

A burglar can find out when you're not home. And a scammer can fleece
you from far away!

> By
> looking just now for a couple of minutes so many groups that would be
> more amenable to the nature of things you talk about, such as art for
> example, and mental heath and retirement:

Long ago, I visited a university, enquiring about study. I wanted to do
information technology policy. But the Computing Department chief
exclaimed that this was politics. Whereas the Politics head wrote-off
the concept as computing!

I appreciated your list of events, and have entered a movie launch into
my diary. Many events are listed for mornings. Whereas I tend to
sleep-in, preferring appointments from say 1 PM. And these days, on
medical advice, I try not to go out say shopping in the evenings.

> If it's social interaction you're being advised to pursue, perhaps there
> are other communities where your wealth of creative ability and
> experience could be better appreciated than it currently is being among
> us technology-obsessed (particularly the highbrow stuff) over here.

I had worked in information technology. So for example learning PROLOG
while seeking employment. Similarly though I am in an art group, I am
the only one there using electronic media!

> Honestly before all of this I'd looked an Brendan's slides and thought
> they were great and wished I'd attended, altough I come from a place
> of living and breathing technology and the slides looked as though it
> was an even-handed, interesting high-level overview.

Whereas I am coming from education. Suggesting finding out about the
learner audience, and what they can and cannot do. Identifying gaps in
knowledge and designing for that. Breaking down a big concept into
chunks, and say arranging small group discussion of those. And
projecting a small number of large items, for the benefit of a guy
wearing bottle-bottom glasses at the back of the room! Illustration is
also recommended, as not everybody is verbally-oriented. Inductive
learning is about finding out on one's own, or in a group, by trying
things out. Then there's evaluation, checking up afterwards how people
were or weren't improved by the experience.

{I am Master of this College,
  What I don't know isn't knowledge.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balliol_rhyme

> It makes me feel
> terrible that he was made to feel bad for delivering this presentation,
> because this is the stuff that CLUG is about.

Delivering content, is a mistake in adult learning! It's like dumping a
lump of concrete on someone, and expecting them to eat it.

> As said previously I care about CLUG (from a distance) and I'm on the
> (Billy-Joel-)Don't-Go-Changing side of defending what CLUG is about and
> everyone essentially doing what's right for them and where they're at
> and what they're looking for.

Argument from tradition: different people used to be tied up and burned
alive! Why change? And that's about as close as I get to a rhetorical
question.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/