[clug] Slides from June 2019 meeting

Lindsay Steele lgsteele at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 08:24:14 UTC 2019

>I'd like such speeches could be prefaced with advice that only career
> engineers need attend! Prior listing of required learning would help.

There was nothing wrong with the way that the talk was announced, it
accurately covered a range of the subjects that would be in the talk.
Brad's talk was also high level to suit a range of users,  there was next
to no technical detail.  Brad presented well and he was very patient with
you and others offering to answer a range of question to all levels of
users as well as guiding discussion from the audience. Containerisation was
just one of several topics covered although it did seem to be a popular
subject for both novices and those more experienced.  From what I can tell
it gave some other people in the room some possibly useful information on
how they could use it within their own home infrastructure to either test
or run services in a very resource efficient environment compared to
running services in individual virtual machines.   Containerisation is far
from a purely engineer type subject,  I use it at home as do a range of
other home users that I am aware of.

There are other concepts there as well that were very non technical,  I
really liked the analogy that is Cattle and Pets and the discussion around
these subjects,  I will definitely use those terms in future to describe
the types of systems you might encounter and how they are managed
differently.

Maybe you could consider actually paying attention next time instead of
spending the night with your attention focused primarily on your laptop
creating artwork.