[clug] Server-side scripting

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 17 04:50:55 UTC 2019

Hi George,

It's been about 10 years since I've done XML/HTML validation so I'm a
bit rusty. I don't even have an XML validation tool. I removed them
when I retired but here's my take on some of the errors:

In general don't mix uppercase tags with lowercase tags. EG <P>with</p>

The DTD uses lowercase for all of its elements and attributes except
special values - like constants.

line 28:

              <FORM Method=POST ACTION="../listinfo/linux"> English
(USA)

The word POST should be surrounded by inverted commas. Such as:

              <FORM Method="POST" ACTION="../listinfo/linux"> English
(USA)

There are a lot of these so I'll only mention this one.

line 23:

and line 31:

          </TR>

do not match case. Change either line 23 to be <TR> or line 31 to be

line 34 has a starting <P> tag but no ending </P> tag. There are a lot
of these throughout the document which need fixing but I'll only give
one example:

                <P><!---->Discussion of Linux in Canberra,
Australia<br>

this conflicts with another starting <p> tag at line 39 and an ending
</P> tag at line 41.

Breaks are EMPTY elements in the DTD so they don't have content but
should still have and end tag. There are a lot of these in the HTML
page therefore a lot of validation errors. Breaks should either be like
this:

or like this:

The former is easier to type.

line 82:

The input tag is EMPTY therefore it needs an ending slash. That is:

                  <TD WIDTH="33%"><INPUT type="Text" name="email"
size="30" value="">

should look like:

                  <TD WIDTH="33%"><INPUT type="Text" name="email"
size="30" value=""/>

There are a few of these throughout the document.

Just another general comment, it is nice to have the start and end of
an element on the same line or indented the same amount in the
document. It just makes it easier to read. I bet your code looks
better. ;--)

Line 90:

One of the attributes in the FONT tag is not surrounded by inverted
commas:

        <TD COLSPAN="3"><FONT SIZE=-1>You may enter a

should be:

        <TD COLSPAN="3"><FONT SIZE="-1">You may enter a

and the ending FONT tag should be </FONT> not </font>. That is, they
should be upper or lowercase.

line 122:

has missing inverted commas and I think the CHECKED attribute should
have a value of "no". That is:

>From line 143 to line 154 there are two form tags and multiple P tags.
There are no ending p tags so it seems that there are overlapping nests
with the p tags and the form tags. Inserting ending p tags </p> may
overcome that confusion.

line 157 is a closing table tag </table>. This is in lower case and the
previous table elements are in upper case but if I change the case
there is still some invalid tagging within the table.

It appears that there's a table within a table. Maybe some of the p
tags, br tags, td or tr tags that I haven't checked are mismatched and
therefore causing the problem.

I think I've done enough for today. Once you have changed those things
that I have mentioned and you still have trouble then I'll have another
look at it.

I used to get paid lots of money for doing validation but I'm retired
so I'm just helping out a very good list.

All the best.

John.