[clug] Security for home - Topic for discussion

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Mon Feb 25 01:49:04 UTC 2019

Kim,

I hope at some point to collate these points we are posting.

To your list of "backups, (continuity), maintenance, monitoring" I
would like to add "timely and routine security and bug
patching/updating".

It will be fun when we get down to answering the practical points like
your comment "How to do all this in a home environment?"

My answer to your question "Is it even possible?", I think "partially
it is, on an arbitrary graph of of 'effort vs perceived need vs
perceived reward/effectiveness' ".

Using firewalls as an example;

I expect we all run a home firewall between our IT stuff and the
Internet.

Do we consider an Internet firewall "necessary"?, do we consider it
too difficult to implement?, how detailed a firewall are we prepared
to configure?

Do we have separate firewalls for wired and WiFi networks (in case
someone hacks our WiFi). What is the likelihood that our WiFi will be
hacked?

For that matter, what do you think is the level of risk of "our house
been broken into" ? Do we take precautions for this event? (locks,
window security, safe, items kind of hidden, alarms, security patrols,
etc).  Does our security assessment change after we experience a
security breach?

Are we prepared to run several firewalls ? Do we separate our access
network (internet surfing, email, etc) from our management network
(the network we use for applying patches and root level
configurations, or do we only have one network. There are degrees or
levels of protection, evaluating cost/benefit is fun and challenging.

George.