[clug] Security for home - Topic for discussion

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 25 00:36:26 UTC 2019

On 25/2/19 10:51 am, Brenton Ross via linux wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-02-25 at 10:01 +1100, Kim Holburn via linux wrote:
>>
>> On 2019/Feb/24, at 8:53 pm, Bryan Kilgallin via linux <linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Kim:
>>
>> I have an on-going project to make home networks more secure.
>>
>> How can one measure a baseline?
>>
>> Impossible question.  How do you?
>>
> If it was my problem I would proceed thus:
>
> You start with a list of all known attacks.
> You rate each one according to how difficult it is to implement.
> You score a network according to how many it resists.

"all known attacks" => known to you (the author(s) of the list).
<> all attacks known to others, now or in the future.

How about:
- what are you trying to protect (reputation, cpu cycles, privacy ...)
- how much is it worth to someone else
- how much are you willing to expend to protect it

More airy-fairy, but allows you to have a life.

cheers,
Bob Edwards