[clug] Fwd: Re: Storage and networking for Storage as used for supporting [Enterprise] virtualized environments

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Mon Aug 19 02:41:28 UTC 2019

On Monday, 19-08-2019 at 11:46 Alastair D'Silva wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-08-19 at 09:19 +1000, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> > Brett,
> >
> > You said, "The specific line that caught my eye was the one for
> > iSCSI.   We're only using 100Gb/s
> > ethernet today and 400Gb/s is still a way off.
> > iSCSI                1GB/s, 10GB/s, and 40GB/s"
> >
> > Thanks for the info.  I cannot even afford 10GB switches. Would you
> > know anywhere in Australia that one can buy 10GB ethernet switches
> > below $200 ?  Most that I see are around $500.
> >

> One of my switches at home is a 48 port gigabit switch with a 10GB XFP
> uplink on the back. I recently stuck a dual port 10Gb card, plus an
> optical transciever in my fileserver, and a matching XFP module into
> the switch, so my server is now connected at 10Gb.
>
> The switch cost me ~$100 from Grays Online.

WOW, great price

I checked https://www.graysonline.com/search.aspx?q=10Gbps this morning and no 10Gbps ethernet cards on sale this morning.
https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-2177274/computers-and-it-equipment/dell-quad-port-10gbase-t-server-module-hot-swap-4x-10gbase-t-ports?spr=true

However I had not realised that they can be purchased even from MSY for less that $200. I might have to get two.
https://www.msy.com.au/asus-xg-c100c

Thanks,

George.