[clug] Fwd: Re: Storage and networking for Storage as used for supporting [Enterprise] virtualized environments

Brett Worth brett.worth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 02:06:01 UTC 2019

On 19/8/19 11:46 am, Alastair D'Silva via linux wrote:

> One of my switches at home is a 48 port gigabit switch with a 10GB XFP
> uplink on the back. I recently stuck a dual port 10Gb card, plus an
> optical transciever in my fileserver, and a matching XFP module into
> the switch, so my server is now connected at 10Gb.

Hmmm.  Looks like general use of 400Gb ethernet is closer than I thought.

I still use a lot of 16Gb FC and 100Gb IB which I thought was pretty fast.

iSCSI still scares me but maybe I've just been burnt by it.  i.e.

  Network outage: does happen sometimes - no big deal.
  SCSI Bus failure:  Almost never happens so seems really bad when it happens.

  iSCSI:   Network failure == SCSI Bus failure.

Maybe iSCSI with dmmultipath would be less scary but then you'd need multiple paths of
ethernet to the target.

Brett

--