[clug] Fwd: Re: Storage and networking for Storage as used for supporting [Enterprise] virtualized environments

Alastair D'Silva alastair at d-silva.org
Mon Aug 19 01:46:30 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-08-19 at 09:19 +1000, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Brett,
>
> You said, "The specific line that caught my eye was the one for
> iSCSI.   We're only using 100Gb/s
> ethernet today and 400Gb/s is still a way off.
> iSCSI                1GB/s, 10GB/s, and 40GB/s"
>
> Thanks for the info.  I cannot even afford 10GB switches. Would you
> know anywhere in Australia that one can buy 10GB ethernet switches
> below $200 ?  Most that I see are around $500.

One of my switches at home is a 48 port gigabit switch with a 10GB XFP
uplink on the back. I recently stuck a dual port 10Gb card, plus an
optical transciever in my fileserver, and a matching XFP module into
the switch, so my server is now connected at 10Gb.

The switch cost me ~$100 from Grays Online.

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
skype: alastair_dsilva