[clug] "League of Entropy" and 'drand' - anyone heard of it, using it?

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Thu Aug 8 04:57:47 UTC 2019

I'm not quite seeing the point.

While the numbers are random, they are not secret. Using them in a
crypto system would be a very bad idea. Injecting "well known" values
into the Linux RNG would hardly make it more secure. [The point of
random numbers in a crypto system is that they cannot be guessed -
unlike these.]

Another purpose for such random numbers is for Monte Carlo simulations,
but there again, it would be a lot faster and more reliable to use a
call to the existing RNG.

That just leaves things which make random selections, such as
lotteries. However, they would still need to be audited if they were to
be trusted. If I were auditing such a system I would put a lot more
faith in a system call to get an RNG than making a call to some server
that might be subject to network attacks.

Brenton