[clug] USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Wed Aug 7 11:02:16 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 06-08-2019 at 17:01 Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
> My ancient DOS palmtop is very unreliable.

Bryan,

I apologise, but below I have so many questions about that you are ultimately wanting to achieve.

I am now curious what is it actually that you want to achieve?

I am guessing that you have and would like to use an old Polar Heart Rate device that connects to a computer via a serial port.

And that you are currently trying to do this by running the "Polar heart rate analysis software" in a virtual DOS environment to connect to the physical Polar Heart Rate monitoring device.

I guess you have tried to find and were not successful in locating other software (e.g. OpenSource) that could connect to the physical device?

Have you thought about setting up a old (physical) DOS computer that has a serial port?

Can you please tell me as much as possible by what you mean when you said "DOS palmtop". From your other emails, I am guess this is Palmtop PC that runs Microsoft (or IBM) DOS ?
Similar to this  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmtop_PC  ?

What is the make and model of the device ?

What type of storage does the device use?  a 3.5" IDE hard disk drive?

What version of DOS did it come with ? Would it be 3.3 ?

You may have said, and I may have missed the point, but is there data you want to get off this drive, or is there an application that you want to run that only runs in "DOS" ?

Later you said "Polar heart rate analysis software to a directory that DOSBox sees as C: drive."

Do you have a Polar Heart Rate device that connects to a computer via a serial port?

If so what is the make and model number of the Polar Heart Rate device?

Can its software be downloaded from a reliable web site?

Thanks,

George.