[clug] Fwd: Re: USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 7 06:02:10 UTC 2019

On 7/8/19 3:51 pm, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Steve,
> I had not had the issue of having to log out and back in before when
> adding myself to various groups, and hence thought that this was only
> a Windows limitation (of which I am oh so familiar).

I occasionally get caught by this. By far the easiest way to self-
diagnose is to use the "groups" command. It will tell you which
groups your current shell (session) has you listed in.

If you spawn (fork) a new shell (eg. execute /bin/sh or log in on
another terminal etc.) you may find your "groups" in the new shell
is now up to date (saves logging out and back in again).

cheers,
Bob Edwards.