[clug] Fwd: Re: USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Wed Aug 7 05:51:28 UTC 2019

Steve,

Thanks.

Indeed a log out and a log in solved my issue with gtkterm as you
pointed out.

I had not had the issue of having to log out and back in before when
adding myself to various groups, and hence thought that this was only
a Windows limitation (of which I am oh so familiar).

My PC has a serial port, so I can now test and use serial
communications, but I will have to see if I can find a device that
uses serial ports. Maybe I have an old modem somewhere in a cupboard?

George

# usermod -a -G dialout [username]

On Wednesday, 07-08-2019 at 13:00 Steve Walsh via linux wrote:

On 7/8/19 10:02 am, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> I do not have a user account that uses sudo, I managed to get
gtkterm working under root, but adding myself to dialout did not get
me past the "Permission denied" error.

the group membership file (/etc/group) is only read when a new login
session is started, did you log out and log in again, or try a login
on
another session and it still didn't work, or did you just edit the
file
and try again?

regards