[clug] USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

Bryan Kilgallin kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 6 13:55:05 UTC 2019

Thanks again, Steve:

> I'm going to guess that if you ran something like "ls /dev/ttyUSB0", you
> would get information that help you further.

That command reports thus.
{
/dev/ttyUSB0
}

> $ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Aug  6 23:22 /dev/ttyUSB0

Yeah, that command resulted as follows.
{
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Aug  6 23:42 /dev/ttyUSB0
}

> that would indicate that you either need to be root, or a member of the
> dialout group to access that device.

I had added my username to the dialout group.

> So you can either add yourself to the dialout group, or run the command
> with 'sudo' to temporarily elevate your privileges while you use it.

GtkTerm's window is not titled "GtkTerm - dev/ttyUSB0 2400-8-N-1. And my
test text typed into it, appears correctly in the palmtop's Datacomm window!
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/