[clug] USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Aug 6 13:26:37 UTC 2019

On 6/8/19 11:20 pm, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
> I tried minicom, which gave this error.
>
> {
> minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: Permission denied
> }

I'm going to guess that if you ran something like "ls /dev/ttyUSB0", you
would get information that help you further.

$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Aug  6 23:22 /dev/ttyUSB0

that would indicate that you either need to be root, or a member of the
dialout group to access that device.

So you can either add yourself to the dialout group, or run the command
with 'sudo' to temporarily elevate your privileges while you use it.