[clug] USB to RS232 DB9 Adapter

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Tue Aug 6 11:21:08 UTC 2019

On 6/8/19 5:28 pm, Steve Walsh via linux wrote:
> On 6/8/19 5:01 pm, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
>> My ancient DOS palmtop is very unreliable. So I wanted to port its
>> applications to my PC.
>>
>> Thus I bought this converter.
>>
>> {Connect a variety of legacy RS-232 devices to your modern computer
>> with this simple adaptor.
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Next I opened a Terminal window. Changing the working directory to
>> "Redhat8". Then I entered "make inst". With this output to screen.
>

> Red hat Linux 8 was released in 2002 and used the 2.4 release of the
> Linux Kernel.

For a moment there I thought he meant RHEL 8 - that's based on a 4.18 kernel.
 However, Bryan did say he was using Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS so I don't imagine
that's the case.

I think Steve's on the right track - it's entirely possible that Linux already
supports it.  You should see a /dev/ttyUSB0 (or higher numbered) device in the
/dev/ directory and be able to use the usual tools such as minicom from there.

Hope this helps,

Paul