[clug] Linux Resources

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Mon Aug 5 12:23:07 UTC 2019

On Monday, 05-08-2019 at 18:22 Michael Carden wrote:
> One aspect of Learning Linux is the often controversial Text Editor War.
>
> Up front I will admit that I am on the vi[m] side of the fence, mostly
> because it's pretty much certain that any Linux machine I ssh to will have
> it installed.
>
> I like to improve my understanding of things that I use a lot by seeking
> online tutorials, and while I much prefer textual docs over things like
> videos, sometimes videos offer really useful tips.
>
> This video about vim is a few years old and has its faults, but I learned
> things from it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MquaityA1SM
>
> Youtube is full of Text Editor videos. I will be particularly grateful if
> anyone can share a link to a vim one that I have so far missed.

I am guessing you are familiar with this video on vim?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ZbrtoSuzw

Found it tonight when watching the URL you posted.

Maybe I (a simple muggle) would see the advantage of text driven interfaces if I was able to remember all the key commands, but since I find this challenging, Xfce is easier to use than Gnome, Notepad is better than Edlin, Eclipse is better than vim, etc.

I guess the problem is that when using ssh to connect to a remote server, there are no GUI IDEs you can used to edit your files or code? Please let me know if there is a way to use a GUI IDE to files/code on a remote server via an ssh session?

http://tmober.blogspot.com/2006/11/remote-system-explorer-10-is-released.html
https://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.rse.doc.user%2Fgettingstarted%2Fg_start.html

I need to learn Eclipse.
https://www.eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2017/june/article1.php

(PS: I do accept the reality that vim is a powerful editor for those who really know how to use it)