[clug] [OT] Bézier curve

Hugh Fisher hugo.fisher at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:56:16 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Bryan Kilgallin via linux
<linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> In MyPaint, one of the painting tools is Lines and Curves.
 [ munch ]

> I have read that Bézier curves are useful for aesthetic effects. Has anyone
> here found a use for such?

Bézier curves are used for drawing curved lines in vector 2D programs,
originating
with Adobe Illustrator back in 1988. They allow computers or computer
using artists
and designers to draw curves that aren't sections of an elliptical arc.

They also extend into 3D drawing as Bézier surfaces or patches, with 16 control
points instead of 4.

The "aesthetic effect" can be simply that, like lines, they can be
scaled to any size
without corners or jaggies. Or that, once you've got some initial
practice in, they
are easy and quick to sketch with. Or that the maths behind Bézier
curves is simple
and elegant without the mind-melting complexity of NURBS, and the computer code
to draw a Bézier is therefore quite straightforward.

In case you haven't worked it out, I like Bézier curves :-)

--

        cheers,
        Hugh Fisher