[clug] Updated version of VICI

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Sun May 13 11:45:15 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-05-13 at 19:32 +1000, Duncan Roe via linux wrote:

> Hi Brenton,
>
> On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 05:15:24PM +1000, linux wrote:
> >
> > The user guide has been updated to try to remove the source of confusion
> > that produced this problem.
> >
> > I am currently trying to update the build process to make it more like
> > what is normally expected - ./configure; make; make install
> > However, as always seems to be the case, what is simpler for the user is
> > more difficult for the developer.
> > Much fun is being had trying to persuade configure and make to generate
> > the configuration file that VICI programs expect.
> >
> > Brenton
>
> Oddly enough, that's exactly what the SlackBuild (at
> https://github.com/duncan-roe/SlackBuilds/tree/master/vici) does now, except for
> > make install DESTDIR=/tmp/DRbuilds/package-vici
> which installs to an alternate location.
>
> BTW, I wasn't proposing to publish the SB. It's for my own convenience so I can
> install / upgrade / uninstall VICI as I choose. If you build a Slackware VM, you
> may find it useful that way too,
>
> Cheers ... Duncan.

Duncan

I put up 0.10.714 this afternoon. I think it might be quite close to
being a standard build process.

I have used the DESTDIR trick to handle the sub-project separation
problem - doing a "make" also does a sneaky "make install" into a
staging directory so that the sub-projects can access each others header
files and libraries. The secondary aim with the VICI project was to
illustrate building very large projects where the sub-projects are built
entirely independently of each other (apart from some infrastructure and
scaffolding).

Have you been able to create and run a script ?
(I find it a useful way of wrapping a bash script into a GUI.)

Cheers
Brenton