[clug] Updated version of VICI

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri May 4 02:32:57 UTC 2018

On 03/05/18 15:28, Steve Walsh via linux wrote:
> On 03/05/18 15:19, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
>>
>>> Sadly I have to recommend that unless you are using Scientific Linux or
>>> CentOS or RHEL there is not much point in proceeding.
>>
>> Learn the new version, and translate your code.
>
> Doing this would then close the project off to the various Enterprise
> Linux releases, which are often used by researchers, students, etc.
> These releases have their versions pinned to maintain the ABI across
> releases, so just blanket upgrading libraries and packages will not end
> well.
>
> Brenton:
> I applaud your tenacity with this. It's often not easy to try to tick
> all the boxes for everyone with a solo effort, so congratulations for
> getting out there and actually giving it a go.

Ditto - concentrate on the source, and packaging for *what you use* and
can support.

Perhaps those that demand FOSS work their way, fail to appreciate the
work involved or the concept of "voluntary". The beauty of Open Source
is that those that want a particular piece of software added to a distro
repository (as opposed to packaged in a distro format) can do so
themselves...
e.g. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess
Alternatively (with Debian) it can be nominated as a bugreport on WNPP
as a wishlist RFP (Request For Packaging). I suspect Ubuntu has a
similar process.

If I get some time this weekend I'll see if I can package it for Debian
Stable, but proper packaging for any distribution requires adoption by a
distro developer - unless you have nothing by time (and no life).

Which reminds me to resume reading up on FlatPak

Kind regards