[clug] dstat

Brenton Ross rossb at fwi.net.au
Sat Dec 29 13:12:47 UTC 2018

All 5 numbers are percentages of time.
Imagine a kernel process that wakes up regularly and checks to see what
is happening:It can find the CPU in kernel mode (system), or it can be
in user mode or there is nothing in the run queue (idle). A process can
be in the run queue but is waiting for an I/O operation (normally the
hard disk).The kernel monitor process increments the corresponding
counters.The dstat program then reads those counters at some interval
and calculates the percentage of time for each state.

https://www.tecmint.com/dstat-monitor-linux-server-performance-process-memory-network/