[clug] GNUstep

Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) kilgallin at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 9 12:33:44 UTC 2017

Thanks, Scott:

> I never suggested apropos Brian.

But my repertoire of Linux programs is limited!

> If the command:-
> for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
> GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
>
> gives no results (or errors) then one of two situations has occurred:-
> 1. you no longer have the package installed that created ~/GNUstep
> (though you could find out if it was previously installed with different
> commands)

In bash, this...
{
for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
}
...resulted as follows.
{
gnustep-examples: nothing appropriate.
gnustep-gui-runtime: nothing appropriate.
gworkspace.app: nothing appropriate.
wmaker-common: nothing appropriate.
}

> 2. you are not using a BASH shell - which would be unusual, as it is a
> "beginners" shell ([gently] unlike, say, fish, which is a power-users
> shell - and power users don't need to ask basic Linux questions "like
> what package installed these files?")

Whereas fish highlighted red:
	`$';
	`do'; and
	`done'.
Then it reported thus.
{
Missing end to balance this for loop
fish: for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
                  ^
}

I understood that Linux users in general were deemed to be experts!
Though the fish shell documentation states as follows. Which is why I
began with fish.

"This is the documentation for fish, the friendly interactive shell.
fish is a user friendly commandline shell intended mostly for
interactive use."

http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/