[clug] GNUstep

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 07:55:27 UTC 2017

On 09/09/17 17:34, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic via linux wrote:
> From http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/gnustep-filesystem_1.html#The-Users-Domain
>
>> In the GNUstep filesystem layout (and in most other layouts too) the User domain is completely contained in a subdirectory of the user’s home directory called ‘GNUstep’.
>
> Something using GNUstep created it.

Agreed. According to apt-file, one of three (four?) packages likely
installed it.   They/it may no longer be installed.
If they are installed, then (most) likely the man pages for them is also
installed - in which case Brian can find out what they are, and what he
wants to do with them.

> On 9 September 2017 at 17:11, Stephen Hocking <stephen.hocking at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A cursory google yielded this -
>>
>> apt-file search /path/to/file
>>
>> to find out what package installs a file. Although this may not hold for
>> things in your home directory.

Agreed.
'Usually' linux packages put the default user config directories and
files in /usr/lib/$packagename (and sometimes /opt/$packagename), and
install a copy into ~/$packagename. Likewise /etc/$packagename
(system-wide default) with it being moved to ~/$packagename for a
user-customised default.

As apt-file doesn't tend to show the final ~/$packagename I searched for
the /usr/lib and /etc locations

>> On 9 September 2017 at 16:08, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux
>> <linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Ivan:

I never suggested apropos Brian. It's of no use to your inquiry.
apropos simply lists packages with similar functionality to the
packagename supplied to the command.
apt-file tells you which package installed them.

>>> Linux man pages seems to have little about them in a form that I can
>>> understand!

Any man pages listed by the final command given would be the ones for
the package which installed the files/directories you enquired about.

If the command:-
for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done

gives no results (or errors) then one of two situations has occurred:-
1. you no longer have the package installed that created ~/GNUstep
(though you could find out if it was previously installed with different
commands)
2. you are not using a BASH shell - which would be unusual, as it is a
"beginners" shell ([gently] unlike, say, fish, which is a power-users
shell - and power users don't need to ask basic Linux questions "like
what package installed these files?")

Kind regards

<snipped>