[clug] KVM

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 8 22:04:07 UTC 2017

On 09/29/17 10:32, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor?
>
> ​Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor on an AMD CPU?
Have done so for many years.  No apparent issues.  Although I run only
"sandbox" VM, I have not struck one that would not install & run
> ​Does anyone run KVM hypervisors on both AMD and Intel CPUs?
>
> ​Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor on an AMD Ryzen Threadripper [1]
> CPU?
>
> If so what Linux Distribution is your KVM hypervisor running on?
>
> So far I have only used Intel CPUs for KVM hypervisor builds. I read
> Red Hat doco suggests you can live migrate Intel based hypervisor
> Virtual Machines to ADM based hypervisors (and back again). Not sure
> what this really means in terms of what CPU configuration the Virtual
> Machine requires for this to work.

The "details" view of the virtual machine configuration has a field for
CPU model.  I leave it at the default of Opteron G3, although my CPU is
only a dual core Athlon.  I've not noticed any issues from this
configuration.

On that basis, you could select "CPU" architecture for the VM to suit
the most likely host and probably change it later too.
> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113447

Rod