[clug] lsblk

Sam Parkinson sam at sam.today
Sun Oct 8 20:40:45 UTC 2017

Ah, lsblk is one of the most useful commands hands down.  It beats
fumbeling around watching /dev/{sd*,mmcblk*} to find what name your
drive gets.
According to this question [1], the /dev/sd* was to keep things in the
place users expected, rather than renaming them.  Interestingly,
/dev/mmcblk*p* seems to be an exception to this rule.
These days, there is also /dev/disk/by-*.  That features disks
catogrized by useful things; such as GUIDs or partition labels.  So it
is better to use, as it is stable across reboots - things aren't just
named based on the order they are mounted.
[1] https://superuser.com/questions/558156/what-does-dev-sda-for-linux-
mean id="-x-evo-selection-start-marker">

--
Thanks,
Sam

Check out this narrative tech podcast: https://www.sam.today/podcast/