[clug] Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) for Linux Desktops

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun May 7 08:29:02 UTC 2017

On 06/05/17 17:15, George at Clug via linux wrote:
>      Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) is virtualization technology
> that hosts a desktop operating system on a centralized server in a
> data center. VDI is a variation on the client-server computing model,
> sometimes referred to as server-based computing.
> searchvirtualdesktop.techtarget.com/definition/virtual-desktop-infrastructure-VDI
>
> Does anyone have experience with VDI for Linux KVM Guest Desktops and
> can recommend a working FOSS solution capable for watch Video
> (preferably in HD) ?

X forwarding for video works well for most, pulse audio provides the
sound (it uses X11 to discover the sound server).

Have you tried using VLC?!? - it'll happily stream video and audio
across networks if you find PulseAudio or SSH too difficult.

> From my searching today,

Have you tried this:-
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=linux+virtualisation+remote+sound
?

> there is no real working solution as yet.

My media server is a VirtualBox machine running Debian KDE - not only
can I get sound through any networked device (PulseAudio), but thanks to
KDE Connect I can also control it (VLC playback) through my mobile phone.

> Potential solutions;
>
> 1) Spice - includes video and audio but suffers from screen tearing
> and lag
>
> 2) VNC - does not support audio

But works fine with pulseaudio
Sound source: ssh -L4000:localhost:4000 remotehost
Sound sink: socat TCP-LISTEN:4000,fork UNIX-CONNECT:/tmp/pulse-$USER/native

paplay $SomeSoundFile (plays local)
paplay -s localhost:4000 $SomeSoundFile (plays remote)

can also be done with Alsa, or Pulse>Alsa

At a pinch you can always tunnel audio over SSH...

> 3) XRDP - I was not able to get audio to work, but it might be
> possible?

Also works with PulseAudio...

> 4) KVM-VDI - I do not know much of this product.

Huh? Sound works for me - Linux/Windows (Intel 82801AA AC97 no problems,
ENSONIQ AudioPCI ES1370 occasionally crashes)

Run as root - or become member of audio group

/usr/bin/kvm
#!/bin/sh
QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa /usr/bin/kvm.bin $@

/etc/libvirt/qemu.conf