[clug] future of CLUG main meetings

ANTONIO MARZANO antonio.marzano1 at bigpond.com
Tue Jun 27 11:11:05 UTC 2017

Hi all,
Bob, I was in digest mode and I switched it off so that I could reply to
your email. I have copied and pasted parts of it and appears below:
No one has yet come forward with any proposals for future talks at CLUG,
so I'll default come in and propose a talk-fest on privacy-enhancing
Linux distros for August, unless anyone does want to propose something
different. Preceded by BeerSIG, of course.
Tony (the one who attends CLUG monthly meetings) has indicated an
interest in talking about using Tails and another distro that I am
unfamiliar with (and can't remember the name of...).
I'll discuss Whonix and also how and why to set up a VPN on a private
(Linux/Debian) VPS in a cross-border location (how do you spell
meta-data?).
Anyone want to update us on QubeOS, or other?
cheers,
Bob Edwards.
I have indicated that the earliest I could give this talk is August.
July is out for me because I have other priorities and deadlines. So
long as that is agreed, I can prepare for August or later if required.
Unlike most people on this list I don't have a background in computing.
That is, I don't have a degree or work experience in computing. I make
that point because in preparation for the talk, especially on Tails, it
will take me a lot of note taking and practical experience on my part to
be able to present to an audience with years of practical experience and
knowledge. In other words, I am up for the challenge but I can't do it
off the top of my head.
The other linux distribution that I discussed with you is probably not
privacy-enhanced. It does share something in common with Tails and that
it is possible to run it from a portable drive. This is how I came
across both systems. For me, Tails was a challenge to install but once
implemented I could see the utility of being able to use it on a daily
basis. The name of the other linux distribution is Porteus. It is a lite
distribution and is based on slackware. The liteness should not deter
anyone from trying Porteus as there are lots of customisations
available.
While I have enough knowledge on Tails and Porteus to be able to install
it and get it up and running I only have some familiarity with both
distributions. As the talk is scheduled for after July, I would rather
discuss any issues after I have gained more familiarity. Since Bob has
put forward a privacy-enhanced theme, Porteus will more than likely not
get included in that talk.
Regards,
Tony