[clug] Debian 9 "Stretch" released, June 17th, 2017

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 00:54:56 UTC 2017

On 19/06/17 10:25, Andrew Donnellan via linux wrote:
> On 19 June 2017 at 09:44, Bob Edwards via linux <linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> All good things come to those who wait! (and wait and wait...) (OK,
>> I am not, yet, a Debian developer, so I shouldn't be so negative...
>> Good work Debian developers!!!).
>
> I think I'm going to be writing off most of this afternoon upgrading
> and then unbreaking my work machine...

Don't worry too much - I upgraded a laptop to Stretch in-place last year
without any major issues other than the changes that PHP7 brought
(which required a lot of trawling through /var/log/apache2/error.log and
editing PHP files), and getting Gammaray to work. Though I've yet to
become comfortable with "routel" instead of "route", and "enp1s0"
instead of "eth0" - a minor niggle is that "dmesg" now requires the user
to run as root(?!).
cat /usr/local/bin/dmsg
#!/bin/bash

su -c "dmesg | grep -iA2 'warn\|fail\|error\|alert\|segfault'"

Discover (KDE), Shashlik, and KDEConnect are awesome, other changes are
not so obvious. The only real issue is KOrganizer which sometimes fails
to open Calendars without a restart (but then the KDE PIM has never
completely worked to my satisfaction - *cough*KMail sux*cough*).

With the exception of Firefox everything seems to run quicker and
lighter (and PaleMoon is much quicker than Firefox anyway).

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/releasenotes

Congratulations and many thanks to Debian.org

<snipped>

Kind regards