[clug] Debian 9 "Stretch" released, June 17th, 2017

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Mon Jun 19 00:25:19 UTC 2017

On 19 June 2017 at 09:44, Bob Edwards via linux <linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> All good things come to those who wait! (and wait and wait...) (OK,
> I am not, yet, a Debian developer, so I shouldn't be so negative...
> Good work Debian developers!!!).

I think I'm going to be writing off most of this afternoon upgrading
and then unbreaking my work machine...

>> Did I miss something? I understood Xen was proprietary?  So I am 4
>> years behind? Does Citrix own Xen, or is it owned by the Linux
>> Community and Citrix now only supports it?
>

> I always understood Xen to be FOSS. And I think it has been supported
> in Debian since 4.0 (Etch) (according to Wikipedia, anyway).

Xen was originally a research project at the University of Cambridge,
XenSource (later bought by Citrix) was the for-profit spinoff.

Apparently it's now a Linux Foundation-led thing, interesting...

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au