[clug] Debian 9 "Stretch" released, June 17th, 2017

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sun Jun 18 06:00:16 UTC 2017

     Great news, Debian Stretch has now officially been released !

This release includes numerous updated software packages, such as:
Xen Hypervisor

Did I miss something? I understood Xen was proprietary?  So I am 4
years behind? Does Citrix own Xen, or is it owned by the Linux
Community and Citrix now only supports it?

Xen Hypervisor: The Crux of the Xen Project
• Type 1 Hypervisor: Does not run in the kernel
• VMs compete with other VMs for resources, not with processes
• Architecture emphasizes security
• Uses toolstacks for Control Domain to talk to Hypervisor
• Default is XL (improved on XM)
• Libvirt /VIRSH option
• No native GUI

• Started as “XenEnterprise”, a product of XenSource Inc.
– First released in 2006
– Initially a proprietary product built on top of the open - source
Xen hypervisor
• Evolved into XenServer, a product of Citrix, Now up to version 6.2
(released June 2013)
• Became an open source project in 2013

The University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory developed the first
versions of Xen. The Xen Project community develops and maintains Xen
Project as free and open-source software, subject to the requirements
of the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2. Xen Project is
currently available for the IA-32, x86-64 and ARM instruction sets.