[clug] Debian 9 "Stretch" released, June 17th, 2017

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sun Jun 18 06:00:16 UTC 2017

     Great news, Debian Stretch has now officially been released !

https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170617

This release includes numerous updated software packages, such as:
Xen Hypervisor

Did I miss something? I understood Xen was proprietary?  So I am 4
years behind? Does Citrix own Xen, or is it owned by the Linux
Community and Citrix now only supports it?

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/xpus13_pavlicek.pdf
Xen Hypervisor: The Crux of the Xen Project
• Type 1 Hypervisor: Does not run in the kernel
• VMs compete with other VMs for resources, not with processes
• Architecture emphasizes security
• Uses toolstacks for Control Domain to talk to Hypervisor
• Default is XL (improved on XM)
• Libvirt /VIRSH option
• No native GUI

• Started as “XenEnterprise”, a product of XenSource Inc.
– First released in 2006
– Initially a proprietary product built on top of the open - source
Xen hypervisor
• Evolved into XenServer, a product of Citrix, Now up to version 6.2
(released June 2013)
• Became an open source project in 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen
The University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory developed the first
versions of Xen. The Xen Project community develops and maintains Xen
Project as free and open-source software, subject to the requirements
of the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2. Xen Project is
currently available for the IA-32, x86-64 and ARM instruction sets.