[clug] low power device for VPN end point

Luke Mewburn lukem-clug at mewburn.net
Mon Jan 23 03:04:12 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 10:11:20PM +1100, Tony Lewis wrote:
  | I'm looking for a low power device to be a VPN end point, and I am
  | after recommendations, please.
  |
  | The key requirement is high VPN throughput.  I lean towards
  | OpenVPN, but because it's single-threaded, it seems there are
  | often struggles to get anywhere close to native throughput.  I
  | understand IPSec implementations are/can be multithreaded, so that
  | might better fit the bill.
  |
  | HDMI and GPU and desktop stuff is not important.  Just low power,
  | high crypto throughput, high reliability and solid Linux support.
  |
  | Tony

Hi Tony,

As you probably know, various low TDP Intel CPUs support the
AES-NI instructions, and newer OpenSSL has the ability to offload
that to the CPU.
E.g., my 3.5 year old Macbook Air has a 15W i7-4650U CPU @ 1.70GHz,
and it has the AES CPU instructions.

How about an Intel NUC or one of an equivalent/cheaper unit
from Gigabyte (etc), with a 15W or 35W CPU?
Or is that outside your power/cost budget?

cheers,
Luke.