[clug] IPv6 config on Jessie not working

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Jan 20 05:21:08 UTC 2017

On 18/01/17 12:42, Bob Edwards wrote:
> Giving up trying the mess that is Google searching and going for the
> tried and true widsom of the CLUG list!

Thanks to those who wrote to me directly with some tips etc. I have now
located the problem and fixed it.

Turns out that I was getting error messages in /var/log/daemon, I just
managed to have not noticed them earlier... (wrong side of 50...)

The error was in a mis-written shell script from the ifupdown-extra
package (not sure why I have that installed on this server...)

The bug is described in:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ifupdown-extra/+bug/1397965
(yes, Ubuntu to the rescue...).

Each network interface config was failing, but after it had already
allocated (the first) IP address for that interface. Hence my
mis-diagnosis.

Fixed the /etc/network/if-up.d/00check-network-cable script (as per
the patch at the above URL), rebooted and all is good with the world
again... (for a little while, anyway).

cheers,

Bob Edwards.