[clug] How does DMARC with with mailing lists?

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Tue Jan 10 09:08:50 UTC 2017

On 10/01/17 07:27, Sam Parkinson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I run my own mail server, and to get good deliverability I use SPF
> (listing the server that are allowed to send mail on my behalf) and
> DKIM (signing all outgoing messages with a domainkey).  I also use
> DMARC - which means that I get a digest of where mails are coming from
> that providers are marking as passing SPF/DKIM, and where it is
> failing.
>
> I saw that "samba.org" was sending emails for my domain and all of them
> failed DMARC.  Lucky DMARC has many modes, and the mode I'm in sets the
> failure case to just notify me.  But some mail providers would set the
> failure case to bounce or spam offending messages.
>
> How do mailing lists keep up with DKIM/SPF?

There's a certain irony here given that samba.org itself has a
quarantine DMARC policy which has caused problems for samba.org users on
other mailing list servers (I know lists.linux.org.au and
lists.ozlabs.org have both had to change settings for samba.org people).

AFAIK, the usual solution is to either enable from-rewriting ("Sam
Parkinson via CLUG <linux at lists.samba.org>") or set things up so that
there's no subject line changes, no body footers, etc etc so as not to
break the signatures.

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au