[clug] EFI / Windoze help

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Mon Jan 9 14:35:58 UTC 2017

On 10/01/17 00:03, Peter Ellis wrote:
> In the last week, I bought a Kogan Atlas 2-in-1 Pro, thinking that I
> could get it running Linux.
>
> Ok, I did not really research whether it was possible to put these
> systems up with Linux.
>
> I've gone into the BIOS and found out that there's no USB option; just
> EFI or the Windoze 10 drive.
>
> I need to get an EFI based system to run Linux. I have USBs with
> Ubuntu 16.04 and Knoppix (2015, well, fairly recent)
>
> I'd appreciate advice, please.

You can definitely make bootable installer USBs with EFI - it's been a
while since I've done it, but any recent Ubuntu installer image should
include EFI bootloader files and should work.

I did notice a post on Ask Ubuntu
(http://askubuntu.com/questions/805915/kernel-oops-on-new-laptop) which
seems to imply that the i915 graphics driver as shipped with Ubuntu
16.04 / kernel 4.4 could be problematic, but that could very well be
fixed with Ubuntu 16.10 which ships with kernel 4.8.

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au