[clug] Cloud servers, ZFS, SnapRAID+MergerFS (was Re: Topic for Feb meeting)

Tony Lewis tony at lewistribe.com
Tue Feb 21 05:41:18 UTC 2017

Define 'cloud'.  Do you mean compute+storage for home?  I'm at the
burn-in test stage for a new home server for just this. Indulge me...

My requirement is for a robust NAS that can grow (lots of disk bays),
but could also have enough grunt for the home network, some general
web-ish services, and some VMs.

I bought a Dell C6105 cloud server off eBay.  It is actually three
servers in one, and I believe is used by cloud providers to use or sell
as cloud services.  In 2RU I got 144GB of RAM, 6 x 6-core Opteron 2419
processors, and 12 x 1TB 3.5" SATA drives.

Each separate server has 1/3 of these, so 48GB RAM, 2x CPUs and 4x
drives, all x 3.

Power is non-trivial.  There's a single PSU that powers the lot. Zero
cards on = 50W of idle power draw.  Turn one processor card on and it
takes a total of 190-250W depending on how hard the CPUs are pushed.
That's more than I would like, but probably less power than the
equivalent Xeon rack servers of their age.  Fully running, it's about
400W, but I don't anticipate running more than one server card
regularly, unless I need to heat the garage.

Price was compelling.  The nearest I could price a new JBOD chassis plus
decent RAM, CPU, PSU, motherboard was north of $2500, and then disks on
top of that.  I got the whole server including the disks, delivered from
the US, for about $1200.  That justifies extra power consumption for me.

I will use Proxmox for virtualisation, giving me LXC and KVM.

I was all set for using ZFS, either through a virtualised FreeNAS
instance, or natively on Debian, but am now seriously considering
SnapRAID + MergerFS.  See here:
https://www.linuxserver.io/2016/02/02/the-perfect-media-server-2016/ .
For home use, this seems like a good compromise.  For me this is where
it gets interesting.

ZFS is enterprise-grade, but does not grow easily.  You can't add a
single drive and have it restripe like you can with MDADM.  To grow your
ZFS pool once you outsize it, you have two options: add a whole new vdev
(another bunch of disks, requiring their own bays etc), or you replace
each disk one by one, and once you have replaced them all, by ZFS magic
you get the extra disk space.  I was looking at 8 disks in my RAID
array, and so when the time came to upgrade, I would have to buy a new
batch of 8 disks.  No point in anything less.

But SnapRAID and MergerFS allow me to use mismatched drives, and to add
and remove disks at will (with some caveats and careful handling).  The
main downside I see is that when you restore, you lose file ownership
and permissions.  This is a grievous oversight IMO, but I should be able
to work around it by only really storing media files on there, where
permissions are less of an issue.

I'll do some testing with SnapRAID+MergerFS and get a feel for it.

Tony