[clug] End-of-life

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 18 00:05:42 UTC 2017

Hi Brian,

Further to Neil's comments, it really depends what you use it for and
how "connected" it is. The main reason for wanting to run a "supported"
version of your O/S is to get future security-related updates, of which
there will likely be many.

The main security "attack vector" will be the Internet. A secondary
vector will be copying files etc. from random USB and other media.

If your machine is behind a (supported) firewall etc. (and has no WiFi
connections of its own) then it should be fine.

If it's a server, offering Internet-facing services with encryption
etc., then you should seriously consider upgrading at least the O/S
to Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04.

If you use it as a desktop for browsing the web etc., again, you should
upgrade it, or disable flash, java, javascript etc. etc.

Just some thoughts.

Bob Edwards.