[clug] USB ADSL2+ modem?

Luke Mewburn lukem-clug at mewburn.net
Tue Dec 20 02:55:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 12:13:55PM +1100, Bob Edwards wrote:
  | I realise that ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ has higher voltage requirements
  | than can generally be met by USB/USB2/USB3, but not sure if that
  | isn't a solvable problem that might already have been solved?
  |
  | I can't find anything on the interwebs that gives me much encouragement.
  |
  | Ideally, I would like to power my (bare/bridge) ADSL2+ modem from
  | my laptop's power supply/battery and the obvious way to do that would
  | be to use a USB-based modem.
  |
  | My (Linux) laptop would then do the rest and I can (trivially?) keep
  | it patched etc. and keep a closer eye on what is really going back and
  | forth on the ADSL connection...
  |
  | Anybody got any thoughts or recommendations?
  |
  | cheers,
  |
  | Bob Edwards.

Hi Bob,

I notice that one of the ADSL modems I have (the TP-Link TD-8840T)
has a power rating of 9V @ 0.6A (540mA), and 4 ethernet ports.

I found this link on adafruit, which is 9V @ 500mA:
	https://www.adafruit.com/product/2777
It may be sufficient given the router may not need the full 540mA
if only using 1 ethernet port.

cheers,
Luke.