[clug] IPv6

Francis Whittle fj.whittle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 12:19:19 UTC 2016

Hi Bryan and other CLUGGers,

If you're on iiNet and want to try out IPv6, You might be interested
their IPv6 Trial (which has been ongoing for a few years now), with
forums at http://ipv6trial.iinet.net.au/index.php - requires free
registration to view, but then you get information about how to connect
from there.  Warning: the discussion boards are full of phantom spam.
The threads in the Setup board seem to be pretty safe though.  All the
information is old (2012 kind of old), but it works for me over my
TransACT connection :)

You need an endpoint that supports the 6rd spec - this doesn't
necessarily need to be your router (although keep in mind that if it's
not, all that IPv6 traffic will be going through an IPv4 NAT).
This is pretty easy to set up for recentish OpenWRT - so it should be
easier still if you have one of the friendlier open source firmwares.
YMMV if you're using a proprietary firmware on an off-the-shelf router,
but 6rd isn't an unusual case these days.

Last information I had was that the freezone is not available over
ipv6.  This isn't really relevant because all the interesting stuff -
i.e. the Debian mirror on ftp.iinet.net.au - is only available over
IPv4 anyway.

Maybe if enough people start using their trial, iiNet might be inclined
to update their infrastructure to support "native" ipv6 instead of just
having a frame-relay based "trial"?

- Francis