[clug] WebSDR

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sun Aug 28 08:07:42 UTC 2016

Thanks, George:

> Last Thursday was my first introduction to using Software Defined
> Radio (SDR) too.

As a teenager, I promoted a Pommy ham radio club.

> It was a very interesting topic.

In the Middle East, I listened to an excellent receiver on my desk.

http://www.shortwaveradio.ch/radio-e/grundig-sat2400-e.htm

> I found a few interesting links which you may find useful?

I found the experience of using WebSDR not so delightful. Compared with
my recollection of having listened on an excellent Grundig. That was
mainly to the BBC, Kol Yisrael and South Africa. Whereas I was puzzled
by the technical layouts of the WebSDR station pages. And here I am
talking about using the following Web site.

http://websdr.org/

> The below articles could be a bit too technical.

Thank you for the links.

> Listening to FM Radio in Software, Step by Step

I have lots to read!

> Roughly in the middle of the list there was guide line “to blacklist
> the kernel module (dvb_usb_rtl28xxu)”. Blacklisting means, that you
> prevent kernel to load a module during start-up. This is done by
> editing a file blacklist.conf, which can be found in folder
> /etc/modprobe.d .

Here I discuss using a Web site linking to SDR receiving stations' Web
pages.

> We can change the volume of Gqrx with pavucontrol

I was just wanting to dx.

{*DXing* is the hobby of receiving and identifying distant radio
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio> or television
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_television> signals, or
making two way radio contact with distant stations in amateur radio
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio>, citizens' band radio
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_band_radio> or other two way
radio communications.}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXing